May 4, 2014

A Very Cool Birthday Present

I have a birthday coming up in about a week.  This for me is normally not a big thing.  But, this one is 62!  Wow!  How did this happen?  Seems like my last birthday was 21!

Anyway,  while manning a booth yesterday at the Clinch River Antiques Festival in Clinton, TN, I noticed what looked like an old yarn winder in a booth across from us.  Sure enough it was.  And really old.  this handmade, with square nails, Yarn Winder or Yarn Weasel was built in 1814, according to the date etched into the box.  While I was talking with them about it, Gary walked over, saw what we were talking about and bought it for me!  Cool, very cool.  This is a beautiful and still workable piece.
Add An interesting note, Gary's last name is McGhee.  The builder's name is W McKee.  McGhee and McKee are listed as part of the same Scottish clan.

This pin the fits in the hole to the left of the knob on the top of the box is a mystery.  I can't figure out what it's for.  There are 2 additional holes at the base of the box, just at the base of the clicker and the pin fits in both very nicely.  I'm thinking is could be some kind of counter, but there are only 2 holes.  Any suggestions on what this pin is for would be greatly appreciated.
From what I've read, this is the base of the Clicker.  When I've wound on a predetermined times around the wheel, the clicker makes a loud "Pop" sound.  It is said that this tool and the pop sound it makes is the origin of the child's song, Pop Goes the Weasel.  I'm to find a way to change the number.  Right now, I have to wind 300 yards to get the pop.


We had a very good show in Clinton yesterday.  Sold a bunch and saw several people who we've visited with at other shows.  Next stop, the Knoxville Trade Day at the Jacobs Building in Chilhowee Park, Knoxville, TN on 5/17.  I'll be offering a class on potholder loom weaving there. If you're interested, please get in touch.

1 comment:

Bonnie said...

That is beautiful. You will enjoy that.

Blog Archive