March 14, 2012

Lessons from the Jurying process

I have just recently tried for the 2nd time in my weaving life to join an organization that requires you to turn in samples of your work which are scrutinized (Juried)  to determine if your work is up to the organization's standards.  And for the 2nd time, I didn't make it.  My reaction this time, though, was entirely different. Thank goodness.

Last time, I was devestated.  They didn't like my work.  I vowed to never go through that experience again and was depressed for months.  How could they not like my cute bags, I thought.  Then, I pulled out the documents that I had been given which described the jurying process, what items I should submit, and what materials were acceptable and not.  I had failed to pay close attention to these documents befoe turning in my sample bags.  And, there was my problem.  If I had read the materials list, I might have made better choices when finishing each bag.  For each of my sample bags, I had used a material that was prohibited. 

That takes me to the present, it's been several years since that experience, and after bolstering up my courage, I submitted 5 samples of my work to be juried for membership in a large regional guild.  I have just this week been notified that again my work was not accepted.  But, here's the change.  This time, I disappointed, but eager to learn what had prevented my selection and what could I do to change my work in order to gain acceptance next time.  I an energized and ready to start 5 new projects.   I like making  and showing my bags.  They're different from what you normally see at craft shows.  Plus, they sell, which tells me that people do like them. I even get special orders for a several of my more standard designs.  But, here is what I learned (Hopefully!!) through this week's experience:
 
It's all in the details!

I find that I get so close to an item as I make it, that I just don't see the little things that ultimately made the difference this time around. So, I'm going to fix the details that were in need of fixing for each purse and will post them for sale on my Etsy.com shop (andylyle.etsy.com).  Then, it's time to get back to the design table to make plans for 5 new projects, which I will turn in on the next Jurying date in the fall.  And, this time, I WILL make it.









1 comment:

Bonnie said...

I am sorry. A live and learn experience. I will join you in the fall to try and jury in. I will need to get a copy of the requirements.

Blog Archive