January 18, 2010

Happy Monday!

We're finally done with the extreme cold.  (At least for now...it's still just January.)  We're to get up to 50 something today.

This warm snap is making me think of working the dirt, buying seeds for flowers and vegetables.  I'm already plotting out where I want to put things this spring.   I do this every winter.  Get all excited when the weather teases us with warm temps.  Then I start seeds too soon.  I'm going to try to be smart about it this year.  If I can!

I'm thinking that I'll try some different flowers this year.  Some I haven't used before.  And buy some different bulbs.  I've always loved Peony's but haven't had one since we moved up to Kentucky.  That's been 17 years!  I'm going to up the number of potatos, onions, carrots and corn this year.  I tried them for the first time last year and had a lot of success with them.  We're still eating some of the frozen corn.    Of course, I'll still plant tomatos, cucumbers, and green beans.  I think that I'll try another dried bean/pea this year.  The Purple Hull's didn't do very well last year.  Too,  small of a yield.  I planted about 15 plants and only ended up with one quart bag of peas!  Don't have any idea what I did wrong.  Maybe I'll try black eyed peas.  We love those dried and fresh.

I added another bag to my www.Andy0514.etsy.com.  It's very different from what I've been doing.  She's a very little Coin Purse.  I made several of them over the weekend.  This is the first.  She has Mardi Gras colors.  Stricking.  Check her out. I hope people like her.

Blog Archive